FK Sarajevo Home           |    Contact   /   EN | BS

Sarajevo - Rapid (2006)

06.04.2013 at 00:35h

On Thursday 10th August 2006 Sarajevo played the first leg of the second qualifying round of the UEFA Cup and achieved a great victory over Rapid from Bucharest. The favourites Rapid failed to play anywhere near as good a game as they had the previous year when they reached the quarterfinals of the UEFA Cup. On the field it seemed that only the name and history of Rapid remained. The bordeaux team dominated the midfield and this gave them the initiative throughout almost the entire match and provided them with plenty of opportunities to score. In the stadium around 12,000 visitors had gathered with only about 50of them being Romanian fans, which remained almost unnoticed. The good atmosphere that preceded the match continued in the great stadium with cheering in both the north and east stands and after the game a group of ardent fans could be seen singing through the streets in celebration of their team’s victory.

The coach, Husref Musemic, began with a 4-5-1 formation in which Šaraba played left back and Mačkić left midfield. Carried along by the good atmosphere the Sarajevo players moved the ball from the centre and played carefully. However, as early as the third minute Repuh made a great shot from the right side but it was saved. Two minutes later the Sarajevo players played short passes from boot to boot and when finally Maksumić had a chance to shot his shot was poor. In the 6th minute Rapid gained its first corner. Zukić made a good clearance in the sixteen metre area that Alaim safely caught. Three minutes later Rapid took another corner but the Sarajevo defence again successfully cleared the danger. Ten minutes later Duro passed to Obuca but the Rapid goalie rushed out some 25 metres to clear.

Sarajevo had its first major chance soon after. Muharemović went past two or three players before passing to Mačkić who crossed to the far post, receiving a thunderous standing ovation for his excellent dribbling, but Repuh was just too late. In the 19thminute Rapid took a free kick for from the right but again the Sarajevo defence stood firm. Rapid had perhaps their best chance of the match in the 21stminute. Along ball was sent into the box where Zukić missed the ball but Buga shot only for Alaim to make a great save. On 22 minutes Duro received the first yellow card of the game. On 24 minutes Rapid were awarded another corner but Grigore sent the ball far wide. At the other end Mačkić again made a great pass and the ball bounced off a Rapid player before falling to Zukić who was unmarked on the left but his shot went out for a corner. This was the first corner of the match for Sarajevo. In the 33rdminuteSarajevo had its best chance of the game when Alaim made a long clearance towards the experienced Repuh who was one on one with the goalkeeper but the Rapid keeper came rushing out to clear. A minute later Rada replaced Sapunaru in the Rapid team. Obuca had a chance in the 38th minute after Saraba crossed but the ball went just over the bar. On 41 minutes Maksumic was fouled and Griffiths received a yellow card. Rapid had the last chance of the first half from a free kick but again Alaim made a great reaction save.

The second half also brought a change in the Sarajevo when the Captain, Repuh, was replaced by Sead Bucan, a newcomer to Sarajevo. The bordeaux team started more decisively and attacked the goal with the Rapid players responding aggressively. Rapid made another substitution in the 53rdminute when Zicure placed Griffiths. A minute later Bucan made a good pass from the right side to Duro who charged into the penalty area who crossed but there was no-one to take advantage. In the 55th minute Mačkić took a free kick but Obuca headed wide. On the 57th minute Constantin fouled Ihtijarević. A crowd of players gathered and finally Constantin was awarded a yellow card. In the 61st minute Duro received a long ball and played it down to Bucan who fired an excellent shot only for the goalkeeper to deflect it out for a corner. The Rapid defence cleared the corner but Bucan managed to fire a good shot only for the goalkeeper to make a fine save. Two minutes later Mačkić sent in a pass from the left side and almost scored. On 64 minutes Marius Constantin repeated the same foul but this time crashed into Trivunović. Without hesitation the referee showed Constantina second yellow card and sent him back to the dressing room. Four minutes later Sarajevo had another good move. The move was started by Muharemović who knocked the ball to Bucan who passed to Obuca on the right side and he crossed to Duro whose header cleared the crossbar. In the 76th minute another combination between Obuca and Duro resulted in Duro just failing to reach the ball. A minute later Duro was again in the role of striker. This time the ball was sent to him by Šaraba but his pass missed Duroby a matter of inches. In the 79th minute an excellent opportunity came for the visitors. From a free kick the ball bounced back to Zicu who made an attractive overhead scissors kick; however, Alaim again prevented a goal through a fantastic reflex save. Minutes later Sarajevo made another substitution where Hasančić replaced Duro. On 84 minutes Bucan passed from the right side and found Maksumic in midfield. Maksumić dummied the first player but the second blocked his shot. In the same minute the experienced Ihtijarević was withdrawn and replaced by the rested Hadzic. Rapid also made a substitution replacing Negru with Grigorea. In the 88th minute Maksumić broke through and passed the ball to Obuca who spun round and shot wide from 18 metres. The fourth official showed that Sarajevo had just three minutes remaining to score a goal. After 91 minutes Maksumić attempted a shot from 30 metres but the ball went wide.

And then came the 92ndminute. Muharemović took a throw-in which Bucan received and ran forward. Bucan dummied the Rapid player and passed to Muharemović who after dribbling sent a great cross to the far post. Up until then the goalkeeper, Comar, had been excellent but this time he missed the ball and Hadzic had a great return to the team with Obuca cannoning in a shot to score passed two defenders and the goalkeeper. Joy erupted in the stadium. Unfortunately, in his celebration he removed his shirt and received a yellow card and as he had been awarded a yellow card in the previous match he was suspended for the rematch.

This was an enormous victory for Sarajevo against the firm favourites Rapid who the previous year reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup. Obviously this was not the same team and so Sarajevo had a good chance of defending the result and passing through to the first round of the UEFA Cup, which would be a fantastic success.

FK Sarajevo 1:0 FC Rapid B.

Spectators: 12000
Referee: Duarte Gomes (Por)

Stadium: "Asim Ferhatović-Hase"

FK Sarajevo: Alaim, Muharemović, Zukić, Trivunović, Šaraba, Mačkić, Maksumić, Ihtijarević, Duro, Repuh, Obuća Klupa: Fejzić, Hadžić, Hasančić, Bučan, Janjoš, Džakmić, Pliska

FC Rapid: Coman, Stancu, Badoi, Griffiths, Grigore, Sapunaru, M. Constantin, Maftei, Stancu, N. Constantin, Buga Klupa: Marinescu, Rada, Vasilache, Negru, Karamyan, Burdujan, Zicu

1:0 – Obuća 92'